Director, Pulmonary Research Group
559 HMRC, Department of Medicine
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2
- PhD, Wellington School of Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand, 1992
- BSc (Hons), Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 1986
||My research program is focused on mechanisms of protein trafficking in innate immune cells, and how this contributes to pulmonary health and disease. A specific area of interest is to learn how intracellular signalling pathways lead to cytokine and chemokine release from innate immune cells. Understanding how eosinophils, neutrophils, mast cells, and macrophages release their pro-inflammatory mediators contributes to our knowledge of basic mechanisms underlying allergy and asthma.
My other major area of interest is the application of metabolomics in apprentice welders to determine if biomarkers of welding fume exposure may be detectable in samples from welders. These studies contribute to our understanding of approaches to monitor welding fume exposure and protecting the health of welders.
- Cassiède M, Nair S, Dueck M, Mino J, McKay R, Mercier P, Quémerais B, Lacy P (2017) Assessment of 1H NMR-based metabolomics analysis for normalization of urinary metals against creatinine. Clin. Chim. Acta. 464:37-43. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2016.10.037.
- Stringer KA, McKay RT, Karnovsky A, Quémerais B, Lacy P (2016) Metabolomics and its application to acute lung diseases. Front. Immunol. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2016.00044.
- Lacy P (2015) Editorial: Secretion of cytokines and chemokines by innate immune cells. Front. Immunol. 6:190. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2015.00190.
- Odemuyiwa SO, Ilarraza R, Davoine F, Logan MR, Shayeganpour A, Wu Y, Majaesic C, Adamko DJ, Moqbel R, Lacy P (2015) Cyclin-dependent kinase 5 regulates granule exocytosis in human eosinophils. Immunology 144:641-648.
- Davoine F, Lacy P (2014) Eosinophil cytokines, chemokines, and growth factors: Emerging roles in immunity. Front. Immunol. 5:570. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2014.00570.
- Willetts L, Ochkur SI, Jacobsen EA, Lee JJ, Lacy P (2014) Eosinophil shape change and secretion. Methods Mol Biol 1178:111-28.
- Ethier C, Lacy P, Davoine F (2014) Identification of human eosinophils in whole blood by flow cytometry. Methods Mol Biol 1178:81-92.
- Lacy P, Rosenberg HF, Walsh GM (2014) Eosinophil overview: structure, biological properties, and key functions. Methods Mol Biol 1178:1-12.
- Arizmendi N, Puttagunta L, Chung KL, Davidson C, Rey-Parra J, Chao DV, Thebaud B, Lacy P, Vliagoftis H (2014) Rac2 is involved in bleomycin-induced lung inflammation leading to pulmonary fibrosis. Respir Res 15:71. doi: 10.1186/1465-9921-15-71.
- Lacy P, McKay R, Finkel M, Karnovsky A, Woehler S, Lewis MJ, Chang D, Stringer KA (2014) Signal intensities derived from different NMR probes and parameters contribute to variations in quantification of metabolites. PLoS One DOI: 10.137/journal.pone.0085732.
- Kim JD, Willetts L, Ochkur S, Srivastava N, Hamburg R, Shayeganpour A, Seabra MC, Lee JJ, Moqbel R, Lacy P (2013) An essential role for Rab27a GTPase in eosinophil exocytosis. J. Leukoc. Biol., 94:1265-1274. A figure from this paper was selected to appear on the cover of the December 2013 issue of Journal of Leukocyte Biology.
- Lacy P (2014) 28 days later: Eosinophils stop viruses. Invited Inside Blood commentary. Blood 123:609-611.
- Lacy P (2013) A new way of trapping bugs: neutrophil microvesicles. Blood 121:420-421.
- Lacy P, Moqbel R. Signaling and Degranulation (2012) Chapter section in: Eosinophils in Health and Disease. Eds. JJ Lee & H Rosenberg. Elsevier, Waltham, MA. pp 206-219.
- Lee JJ, Jacobsen EA, Ochkur SI, McGarry MP, Condjella RM, Doyle AD, Luo H, Zellner KR, Protheroe CA, Willetts L, Lesuer WE, Colbert DC, Helmers RA, Lacy P, Moqbel R, Lee NA (2012) Human versus mouse eosinophils: "That which we call an eosinophil, by any other name would stain as red". J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 130:572-584.
- Ochkur SI, Kim JD, Protheroe CA, Colbert D, Condjella RM, Bersoux S, Moqbel R, Lacy P, Kelly EA, Jarjour NN, Schleimer RP, Furuta G, Nair P, Lee JJ, Lee NA (2012) A sensitive high throughput ELISA for eosinophil peroxidase: An eosinophil-specific assay to quantify degranulation from patient-derived sources. J. Immunol. Methods 384:10-20.
- Ochkur SI, Kim JD, Protheroe CA, Colbert D, Moqbel R, Lacy P, Lee JJ, Lee NA (2012) The development of a sensitive and specific ELISA for mouse eosinophil peroxidase: Assessment of eosinophil degranulation ex vivo and in models of human disease. J. Immunol. Methods 375:138-147.
- Eitzen G, Lo AN, Mitchell T, Kim JD, Chao DV, Lacy P (2011) Proteomic analysis of secretagogue-stimulated neutrophils implicates a role for actin interacting proteins in Rac2-mediated granule exocytosis. Proteome Sci. 9(1):70.
- Lacy P, Stow JL (2011) Cytokine release from innate immune cells: association with diverse membrane trafficking pathways. Blood 118:9-18.
- Lacy P, Willetts L, Kim JD, Lo AN, Lam B, MacLean EI, Moqbel R, Rothenberg ME, Zimmermann N (2011) Agonist activation of F-actin-mediated eosinophil shape change and mediator release is dependent on Rac2. Int. Arch. Allergy Immunol. 156:137-147. Highlighted in MDLinx (http://www.mdlinx.com/allergy-immunology/news-article.cfm/3604119/asthma), May 16, 2011.
- Lacy P (2011) Editorial: Metabolomics of sepsis-induced acute lung injury: a new approach for diagnosis. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 300:L1-L3.
- Lacy P, Munitz A (2010) Editorial: Mutations in CCR3 render it “missing in action.” J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 126:158-159.
- Stanley AC, Lacy P (2010) Pathways for cytokine secretion. Physiology (Bethesda) 25:218-29.
- Dyer KD, Percopo CM, Xie Z, Yang Z, Kim JD, Davoine F, Lacy P, Druey KM, Moqbel R, Rosenberg HF (2010) Mouse and human eosinophils degranulate in response to PAF and lysoPAF via a PAF-receptor independent mechanism: evidence for a novel receptor. J. Immunol. 184:6327-6334.
- Dooley JL, Abdel Latif D, St Laurent C, Puttagunta L, Befus D, Lacy P (2009) A major role for Rac2 in immune complex-mediated acute lung injury. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 297:L1091-1102.
- Slupsky CM, Cheypesh A, Chao DV, Fu H, Rankin KN, Marrie TJ, Lacy P (2009) Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia induce distinct metabolic responses. J. Proteome Res. 8:3029-36.
- Hogan SP, Rosenberg HF, Moqbel R, Phipps S, Foster PS, Lacy P, Kay AB, Rothenberg ME (2008) Eosinophils: biological properties and role in health and disease. Clin. Exp. Allergy 38:709-50.
- Mitchell T, Lo AN, Logan MR, Lacy P, Eitzen G (2008) Primary granule exocytosis in human neutrophils is regulated by Rac-dependent actin remodeling. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 295:C1354-1365.
- Logan MR, Lacy P, Odemuyiwa SO, Steward M, Davoine F, Kita H, Moqbel R (2006) A critical role for vesicle-associated membrane protein (VAMP)-7 in exocytosis from human eosinophils and neutrophils. Allergy 61:777-784.
- Abdel-Latif D, Steward M, Macdonald DL, Francis GA, Dinauer MC, Lacy P (2004) Rac2 is critical for neutrophil primary granule exocytosis. Blood 104:832-839.
- Sin, DD, Lacy P, York E, Man SFP (2004) The effect of fluticasone or prednisone on systemic markers of inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 170:760-765.
- Carlyon JA, Abdel-Latif D, Pypaert M, Lacy P, Fikrig E (2004) Anaplasma phagocytophilum utilizes multiple host evasion mechanisms to thwart NADPH oxidase-mediated killing during neutrophil infection. Infect. Immunity 72:4772-4783.
- Lacy P, Abdel Latif D, Steward M, Musat-Marcu S, Man SFP, Moqbel R (2003) Divergence of mechanisms regulating respiratory burst in blood and sputum eosinophils and neutrophils from atopic subjects. J. Immunol. 170:2670-2679.
- Logan MR, Lacy P, Bablitz B, Moqbel R (2002) Expression of eosinophil target SNAREs as potential cognate receptors for VAMP-2 in exocytosis. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 109:299-306.
- Lacy P, Logan MR, Bablitz B, Moqbel R (2001) Fusion protein vesicle-associated membrane protein-2 is implicated in IFN-gamma-induced piecemeal degranulation in eosinophils from atopic individuals. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 107:671-678.
- Lacy P, Mahmudi-Azer S, Bablitz B, Hagen SC, Velazquez JR, Man SFP, Moqbel R (1999) Rapid mobilization of intracellularly stored RANTES in response to interferon-γ in human eosinophils. Blood 94:23-32.
- Lacy P, Levi-Schaffer F, Mahmudi-Azer S, Bablitz B, Hagen SC, Velazquez J, Kay AB, Moqbel R (1998) Intracellular localization of interleukin-6 in eosinophils from atopic asthmatics and effects of interferon-gamma. Blood 91:2508-16.
- Levi-Schaffer F, Lacy P, Severs N, Newman TM, North J, Gomperts B, Kay AB, Moqbel R (1995) Association of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) with the crystalloid granules of human eosinophils. Blood 85:2579-86.
For a complete list of publications, click here.
- The Wellcome Trust/Health Research Council Overseas Fellow, University College London, UK, and University of Otago, New Zealand (1992-1997)
- Parker B. Francis Fellow in Pulmonary Research, University of Alberta (1998-2001)
- CIHR New Investigator Award (2001-2006)
- AHFMR Visiting Speaker from Alberta Award (2009-2010)
- Previous research support provided by:
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Afexa Life Sciences, Inc.
- AllerGen NCE
- Sick Kids Foundation
- University Hospital Foundation (U Alberta)
- Australian Research Council
Current Sources of Funding
- NSERC Discovery Grant, 2015-2020
- OHS Futures, Government of Alberta, 2015-2017
- The Lung Association of Alberta & NWT, 2015-2016
Current Research Personnel
- Marc Cassiède, PhD
- Lindsey Felix, PhD