Associate Professor, Heart & Stroke Foundation New Investigator
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Medicine
PDF – University of Wisconsin – Madison
PhD – University of Alberta
BPE – University of Alberta
Stickland Laboratory Overview
Generally, our laboratory examines cardiopulmonary physiology in health and disease. Specifically our research is focused on four areas:
- Chemoreceptor Control of Cardiovascular Function in Health and Disease
- Cardiovascular consequences of lung disease
- Optimizing Health Outcomes in Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Intra-Pulmonary Arterio-venous Shunt and Pulmonary Gas Exchange
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada New Investigator Award
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Operating Grant
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council
The lab trains undergraduate, graduate, post-doctoral and medical trainees. We are always looking for keen trainees who have an interest in cardiopulmonary physiology. Funding may be available for graduate students to enroll in the Experimental Medicine Graduate Program within the Department of Medicine. Alternately, Dr. Stickland is an adjunct in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, as well as in the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation where students can enroll and work under Dr. Stickland. Interested students are encouraged to contact Dr. Stickland about possible graduate opportunities.
Selected Recent Publications
- Stickland, M.K., Rowe, B.H., Spooner, C.H., Vandermeer, B., Dryden, D.M. Effect of Warm-Up Exercise on Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Med Sci Sports Exerc. 44:383-91, 2012.
- Stickland, M.K., Fuhr, D.P., Haykowsky, M.J., Jones, K.E., Paterson, D.I., Ezekowitz. J.I., McMurtry, S.M. Carotid chemoreceptor modulation of blood flow during exercise in healthy humans. Journal of Physiology, 589:6219-30, 2011.
- Stickland, M.K., Rowe, B.H., Spooner, C.H., Vandermeer, B., Dryden, D.M. Accuracy of eucapnic hyperpnea or mannitol to diagnose exercise induced bronchoconstriction. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 107:229-234, 2011.
- Lovering A.T., Stickland, M.K., Amann, M., O'Brien, M.J., Hokanson, J.S., Eldridge, M.W. Effect of a patent foramen ovale on pulmonary gas exchange efficiency at rest and during exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology, 110:1354-61, 2011.
- Stickland, M.K., Jourdain, T., Wong, E., Rodgers, W.M., Jendzjowsky, N.G., MacDonald, G.F. Effects of a Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Delivered via Telehealth Technology in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients. Canadian Respiratory Journal, 18:216-220, 2011.
- Rowe, B.H., Bhutani, M., Stickland, M.K., Cydulka R. The Assessment and Management of COPD in the Emergency Department and beyond. Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine, 5:549-59, 2011.
- Stickland, M.K., Spooner, C.H., Dryden, D.D., Rowe, B.H. The need for standardization in exercise challenge testing for exercise-induced asthma/bronchoconstriction. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 126:878-880.e6, 2010 (note: rapid short report).
- Debeck L.D., Petersen S.R., Jones K.E., Stickland M.K. Heart Rate Variability and Muscle Sympathetic Nerve Activity Response to Acute Stress: the Effect of Breathing. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 299:R80-91, 2010.
- Marciniuk, D.D., Brooks, D., Butcher, S., Debigare, R., Dechman, G., Ford, G., Pepin, V., Reid, D., Sheel, A.W., Stickland, M.K., Todd, D.C., Walker, S.L., Aaron, S., Balter, M., Bourbeau, J., Hernandez, P., Maltais, F., O’Donnell, D.E., Bleakney, D., Carlin, B., Goldstein, R., Muthuri, S.K. Optimizing Pulmonary Rehabilitation in COPD: Practical Issues A Canadian Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline. Canadian Respiratory Journal, 17:159-68, 2010.
- Stickland, M.K., Smith, C.A., Soriano, B.J., Dempsey, J.A. Sympathetic Restraint of Muscle Blood Flow During Hypoxic Exercise. American Journal of Physiology - American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 296:R1538-46, 2009.
- Hopkins S.R., Olfert I.M., Wagner P.D., Lovering A.T., Eldridge M.W., Stickland M.K. Point: Counterpoint "Exercise-induced intrapulmonary shunting is imaginary vs. real.” Invited Review, Journal of Applied Physiology, 107:994-1003, 2009.
- Stickland M.K., Miller J.D. The best medicine: exercise training normalizes chemosensitivity and sympathoexcitation in heart failure. Journal of Applied Physiology 105: 779-781, 2008.
- Stickland M.K., Morgan B.J., Dempsey J.A. Carotid chemoreceptor modulation of sympathetic vasoconstrictor outflow during exercise in healthy humans. Journal of Physiology, 586: 1743-1754, 2008.
- Stickland M.K., Lovering A.T., and Eldridge M.W. Exercise-induced Arteriovenous Intra-Pulmonary Shunting in Dogs. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 176: 300-305, 2007.
- Stickland, M.K., Miller, J.D., Smith, C.A., Dempsey, J.A. Carotid chemoreceptor modulation of regional blood flow distribution during exercise in health and chronic heart failure. Circulation Research, 100: 1371-8, 2007.
- Stickland, M.K., Welsh, R.C., Petersen, S.R., Tyberg, J.V., Anderson, W.D., Jones, R.L., Taylor, D.A., Bouffard, M., Haykowsky, M.J. Does fitness level modulate the cardiovascular hemodynamic response to exercise? Journal of Applied Physiology, 100: 1895-1901, 2006.
- Stickland, M.K., Welsh, R.C., Haykowsky, M.J., Petersen, S.R., Anderson, W.D., Taylor, D.A., Bouffard, M., Jones, R.L. Intra-Pulmonary Shunt and Pulmonary Gas Exchange During Exercise in Humans. Journal of Physiology, 561: 321-329, 2004.
For a complete list of publications, click here.