Beach, MBBS, MD, FRCP(Edin), FFOM, FRCP(C)
Dr. Beach trained in Medicine at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, qualifying MBBS in 1983. He subsequently worked in General Internal Medicine and Respiratory Medicine gaining his MRCP (UK), and then moved to a research position leading a project studying occupational asthma in shipyard welders which provided the basis of his MD. He went on from this to train as a specialist in Occupational Medicine gaining his MFOM and specialist accreditation in 1996.
In his work in Occupational Medicine he has combined work in academia at the University of Birmingham and Monash University in Australia; work in industry, becoming Senior Medical Officer with a major multinational company; and the health service, working as a specialist in occupational medicine and occupational lung disease in hospitals in Birmingham and Bradford, UK.
He was awarded FRCP in 1999 and FFOM in 2000. He moved to the University of Alberta in 2002.
Dr. Beach's major interests are in occupational lung disease, particularly occupational asthma, the health effects of pesticides, and health surveillance. He is past editor of the journal "Occupational Medicine", adopted journal of OEMAC, and remains an assistant editor.
- PHS520 Occupational and Environmental Disease
Recent Selected Publications
- Murphy E, Harrison J, Beach JR. An Audit of Respiratory Health Surveillance. Occup Med 2002; 52: 497-502.
- Waters A, Beach J, Abramson M. Symptoms and lung function in health care personnel exposed to Glutaraldehyde. Am J Ind Med 2003; 43: 196-203.
- Beach JR , Watt D. Editorial. General practitioners and occupational health professionals. Br Med J 2003; 327: 302-303.
- Hobson J, Beach JR. Editorial. Ensuring ethics. Occup Med 2004; 54: 65-66.
- Turner S, Hobson J, D’Auria D, Beach J. Continuing professional development of occupational medicine practitioners: a needs assessment. Occup Med 2004; 54: 14.